Based in Indianapolis, IN
1 Oct, 2014
|PC / Mac||$9.99|
Card Dungeon aims to do something to the genre of rogue-like's that has rarely been done before: make the genre accessible to the general public. The basic conceits of the rogue-like are still there; permanent death, loot collecting and a steep challenge. To ease learning curve and make the game more accessible the game's core philosophy is: You can only do 1 thing / turn. Choose wisely. The player is dealt three cards in the beginning of the game. The cards are used for attacks, defense, health, magic, summoning and much more. When the player defeats a monster or opens a chest, a new card may be revealed. The user then has to decide if they want to keep their current card or switch it to the new one. All levels are randomly generated, but monsters groups are manually placed so the player progress in a linear fashion to keep the feeling of making progress towards the end goal. To make repeated play-through's more interesting, there are also "trait" cards which alters how the player avatar is presented. The trait cards alters things like damage dealt, health, mana, loot found, etc. Card Dungeon is aimed at play sessions of 10-15 minutes / level, but definitely will hold your interest for longer play sessions. The PC / Mac version has recieved upgraded visuals (SSAO, Bloom, AA, etc), achievements, cloud saves and a completely revamped input and UI system.
We are huge fans of board games such as Descent and Heroquest. We felt that coupling those kinds of board games with a rogue-like would make a great combination. To keep things manageable for a non board game player, and to to make the game interesting for a player unfamiliar with board game tropes, we decided to do away with much of the complexity from those games and make it a game that anyone can enjoy, but still retains the flavor, strategy and interesting decisions of those board games.
- Card Dungeon is a rogue-like with permanent death, but if you make it back to where you died you gain all your items and gold back.
- Has >1000 unique cards that can be found. All creatures have their own unique skills. Unlock trait cards that shape your playthroughs.
- Original Soundtrack by Ian Dorsch.
- Unique and gorgeous visuals unlike anything else available.
- Randomly generated levels with hand placed monsters in each level.
Mobile Trailer YouTube
Steam Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Selected as Best New App by Apple." Apple App Store, 1 October, 2014
- "Pocket Gamer Silver Award." Pocket Gamer UK, 14 October, 2014
- "It's one of the most clever, engaging, and fun Rogue-likes I've ever played."
- Matt Amenda, Game Skinny
- "…one of the most compelling and addictive iOS games I’ve played in years."
- Pete Ozzy, Pixelated Paradise
- "If you’re looking to get started within the realm of roguelikes, this whimsical title could be a fantastic entry ticket."
- Brittany Vincent, 148 Apps
- "Card Dungeon is a bizarre mash-up of genres that works better than I'd expected. It's more about dungeon exploration than card collection, but it manages to make both quite entertaining."
- Rob Rich, Pocket Gamer UK
- "A highly addicting mix of genres that ticks all the right boxes"
- -, Games Finder
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Original Soundtrack by Ian Dorsch soundcloud.com.
Release Blog Post
The blog-post through which this game was released is available at vlambeer.com.
About Playtap Games
Playtap Games makes games of quality.
More information on Playtap Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Card Dungeon Credits
Artist, Game Designer, Playtap Games
Programmer, Game Designer, Playtap Games